Sep 172012

On Labour Day weekend, the F1200 series headed to the most northern point on the Championship schedule, Calabogie Motorsport Park.  14 cars entered for the weekend, with all eyes on the chase for the Championship title.  Heading into the second to last weekend, Michael Iaumundi held an 84 point lead over Steve Bamfod, and 224 points separating 1st-6th, all still with a chance to take the title.

Qualifying was challenging for all drivers, as it was cut short by a red flag just two laps into the session.  With 20 turn around the track, and lap times of around 2:30, the field only got two flying laps once the track went back to green.  Bamford took the pole position by 0.2 seconds over Andrew Waring.  The first six drivers were separated by just 1.9 seconds.

About as soon as race 1 started, it was finished.  On lap one, heading into a fast right hander, Desmond Ennis got loose and spun sideways, directly in front of Frank O’Hanlon.  With nowhere to go, there was nothing that O’Hanlon could do except brace himself for the impact.  Immediately after the accident, it was decided that due to the damage sustained and for the safety of the drivers involved, the race would be cancelled.  While Ennis was lucky enough to walk away with a badly bruised body and badly damaged car, O’Hanlon was not so lucky and would be taken right to the hospital with significant injuries.  The medical team at Calabogie did an excellent job of giving the drivers the care they needed in a safe, quick way.  O’Hanlon is now back at home and will make a full recovery.

Race 2 had the remaining 12 drivers start in a full restart using the Qualifying positions with Bamford and Waring leading the field to the green flag.  The majority of the race saw a three car breakaway of Bamford, Waring, and Iamundi.  The trio traded the lead 6 times in the 8 lap race.  Heading into the final lap, with the leaders worrying too much about themselves, Spencer Todd and Phil Wang managed to catch the leaders, making it a 5-car fight for the win.  Bamford crossed the line in 1st, 0.18 seconds ahead of Waring.  Todd managed to get ahead of Iamundi for the final podium spot.  Rookies Reid Arnold and Matt Garwood had an excellent race battling for top rookie points.  Arnold would take the spot over Garwood by just 0.026 seconds.

Race 3 was more of the same close racing up front.  David Taylor added himself to the mix, making it a 6 car battle at the front.  The front of the pack was dominated by Bamford this time, who led the race from start to finish.  Iamundi finished just 0.12 seconds back, with Waring taking the final podium spot.  Arnold and Garwood had another tight battle for top rookie.  The duo finished side by side, and Arnold would again take the spot by just 0.029 seconds.

Heading into the final round of the season, Iamundi’s lead over Bamford has been cut in half to just 42 points.  While all eyes will be on the top two, there are still six drivers mathematically alive for the title.  Matt Garwood has further increased his rookie points lead over Andre Du Preez.  While stagnant on the weekend, Kevin Deevey retained his Master’s class lead, but now by just 132 points over Dave Aird, who overtook O’Hanlon for second spot.