Oct 082013

The final round for Formula 1200 took the series to Canadian Tire Motorsports Park.  17 drivers arrived to settle who would take top spot for the Championship.  Heading in, three drivers were still mathematically alive for the title.  Michael Iamundi was in command, with Phil Wang and Andrew Waring still alive for the top spot.  In Master’s, Dave Aird had a commanding lead over the only person who had a chance to catch him, Dermot Ennis.

Qualifying had the top drivers out together, and in true form, they all qualified close together.  Waring took the pole, with Iamundi, Kevin Kapelke, and Wang all within 0.8s of him.  Race 1 was a 10 car breakaway, with a full train of cars staying together for the entire race.  Iamundi led every lap up until the final lap.  After staying put in 4th place for the majority of the race, Waring came through the front of the pack to take the lead into turn 8, and ultimately the victory.  Kapelke, Iamundi, Wang, and Reid Arnold rounded out the top 5, all within a second of the lead.  Frank Steinhausen took the Master’s win.  Dave Aird finished second to lock up the Master’s championship.

Race 2 was a continuation of race 1 with a large lead pack, except this time 12 of the 16 cars which started the race maintained the lead pack for almost the whole race.  The lead changed hands 7 times through the race, and again would come down to the final back straight.  Working together in the draft, Matt Garwood and Reid Arnold pushed through the pack.  Arnold took his first Formula 1200 victory, edging out Garwood, Iamundi, Sid Nye, and Steinhausen.  The third place victory solidified the championship for Iamundi.

Heading into race 3, 2nd place was still up for grabs for the overall and Master’s championships.  For the overall, Waring needed to beat Wang by at least two positions to overtake him.  In Master’s, Dermot needed to beat Kevin Deevey by at least two spots to seal 2nd.  The race saw a 10 car lead group train around the track for the whole race.  Deevey had car contact in the first lap and needed to pit to remove bodywork, but would continue.  The end of the race saw the 2013 F1200 Champion, Michael Iamundi take the win.  2nd and 3rd were AVR teammates Arnold and Waring, with Kapelke and Wang rounding out the top 5.  Wang would not do enough to hold off Waring for 2nd in the championship, and settled for 3rd.  Steinhausen completed the sweep in Master’s, with 2013 Master’s champion Dave Aird 2nd.  Dermot Ennis finished 4th, just one position ahead of Deevey.  The two ended up tying for 2nd in the championship.

A fantastic 2013 season has come to an end, and drivers will look forward to 2014, and try again to figure out how to de-thrown now 6-time champion, Michael Iamundi.