Jun 272013

Back to Mosport for round 3, the field was the largest of the season, with 19 cars entered.  The weekend was forecasted to be hot and wet, which is exactly what it was throughout the weekend.  The start of the weekend was extremely wet with qualifying.  Andrew Waring managed the rain the best, taking pole position.  Kevin Kapelke, Spencer Todd, Reid Arnold, and Phil Wang took spots 2nd through 5th.  Championship leader Michael Iamundi had issues in morning practice which forced him to miss qualifying.

The track managed to dry out for race 1, which had an 8 car lead pack for the majority of the race.  The lead changed hands 9 times between 4 drivers over the 12 lap race.  Sam Ashtiani led the race into the final lap with the field in tow.  At the end of the back straight, Waring and Kapelke split Ashtiani, with Waring taking the inside line, and ultimately the win.  Kapelke finished 2nd with Wang, Ashtiani, and Matt Garwood all directly behind.  The top 8 cars finished within 1.7 seconds of the leader.  Bill Mitchell finished a spirited battle ahead of Sid Nye and Jeremy Steinhausen for 10th overall.  Dermot Ennis finished 8th overall for the Masters win.

Race 2 was more of the same, with an extremely tight lead pack.  Ashtiani spun in turn 5 on the first lap, taking him out of contention for the win. The remaining 9 cars in the lead pack swapped positions every lap, with 8 lead changes amongst 6 different drivers.  Teammates Arnold and Waring led had 1st and 2nd into the final lap, and Waring took full advantage, finishing 1st.  Wang managed to take 2nd, with Arnold, Todd, and Garwood rounding out the top 5.  The top 9 cars finished within 1.8 seconds this time from the lead.  At the tail end of the lead pack, Ennis finished 9th overall along with his 1st Masters win.

The final race was no different with a strong large lead pack up front, but just 2 laps in, disaster struck.  On the way up the back straight, Jesse Ward and Sam Ashtiani came together wheel-wheel and backed into the guardrail.  The impact shot Ashtiani up in the air and over the wall.  The race was red flagged while the medics and clean-up crew took care of the Sam and the cars.  Sam was taken to the hospital straight from the track with a broken arm.  Once the race re-started, a 10 car pack stayed together in usual fashion.  On the final lap, the front pack spread out 3 wide heading into turn 8.  With little room to maneuver, Iamundi and Waring had slight tire rubbing, which pushed Waring back into Arnold.  Arnold cut a tire in the process and fell back through the final three corners.  Wang ultimately took his first win of the year, with Nye 2nd, and Iamundi 3rd.  Todd and Waring rounded out the top 5.  Mitchell edged out Ennis by 0.3 seconds for 8th overall and the Masters win.

Following the weekend, Iamundi held on to the overall championship lead (774), but now just 18 points over Wang (756).  The Masters lead is still held by Dave Aird (600), with Mitchell (576) quickly closing in.  The series will be back at Mosport for July 27-28 for round 4 and the Vallis Cup.  The Canadian version of the 50th Formula Vee celebration will also be held during the weekend.